Out of the 22 applications that were received – the Myanmar’s Ministry of Communication of Post and Telegraph has announced that 12 applicants have been pre-qualified to submit tender for the 2 telco licence.
The pre-qualified firms are:
- Airtel Consortium
- Axiata Group Berhad
- Digicel (Soros’ Quantum Strategic Fund is part of this group)
- France Telecom-Orange + Marubeni
- KDDI Corporation + Sumitomo Corporation + Myanmar Information and Communication Technology Development Corporation (MICTDC) + A1 Construction
- Millicom International Cellular S.A.
- MTN Consortium (MTN Dubai + M1 Telecom + Amara Communications)
- Qatar Telecom (Qtel) Q.S.C (“Ooredoo”)
- Singapore Telecommunications (Singtel) + KBZ + Myanmar Telephone Company Limited (M-Tel)
- Telenor Mobile Communications AS
- Viettel Group
- Vodafone + China Mobile
The pre-qualified applicants will be required to submit their applications to the Tender Evaluation Committee by June 3, 2013. The Committee expects to announce, by June 27, 2013, the two Applicants that will be granted nationwide telecommunications licences.
Myanmar is opening up its telecom sector to foreign investment as it wants to modernise its economy and telecommunication services are considered to be key infrastructure that will enable those development.
Todate SIM card price has been slashed by 99% in order to spur mobile phone ownership. Click here to read more.
To learn if having a strong local Myanmar partner give any of the consortium an advantage? Click here to read more.
Read our disclaimer policy.