Japan, Myanmar inks deal to develop industrial complex

Japanese and Myanmar companies signed a deal on Tuesday to develop an industrial complex in the suburbs of Yangon, the largest city of Myanmar.

Three Japanese companies, namely Mitsubishi Corporation, Marubeni Corporation and Sumitomo Corporation, will join hands with a public-private partnership between the government of Myanmar and local enterprises to develop the Thilawa Special Economic Zone project.

Following a feasibility study over the past several months, the consortium will focus on developing the “Class A Area,” the section of the Thilawa Special Economic Zone designated for initial development.

“Myanmar has cheap and abundant labor power and we believe that Thilawa has a very high potential as a production base,” Toru Kabeya, an official of the Transport Infrastructure Project Department of Marubeni, said at a press conference.

The three Japanese companies will hold a 49 percent stake in the consortium, while the Myanmar government and local private companies will own the remaining 51 percent, he added.

The industrial complex is expected to start commercial operation in 2015, which will house car plants and other services.

Source: Mizzima News Myanmar

NB: The best way to find information on this website is to key in your search terms into the Search Box in the top right corner of this web page. E.g. of search terms would be “property research report”, ”condominium law”, “Puma Energy”, “MOGE”, “yangon new town”,”MECTEL”, “hydropower”, etc.


To evaluate the various segments of the market that you could possibly enter base on your competencies you can do a Custom Market Entry Strategy Research. You can see a sample report at page “Actual Sample of Client Report”. Click here to go to page.


Do you know that IE Singapore is giving ≤ SGD 20, 000 support under the MRA Grant and > SGD 20,000 under the GCP Grant for Singapore companies to venture into Myanmar? To learn more click here.


If you have Request for Quotation (RFQ) or Tender Announcement that you want us to publish for FREE in the Tenders & Awards section of our website please submit to us at tender(at)consult-myanmar.com for our consideration.

Looking for foreign investors to invest in your business in Myanmar