The Visa on Arrival (VOA) scheme has been in existence since June 2012. There were some initial hiccups in the system but all the kinks have been ironed out and the system is working smoothly now.
The VOA scheme is targetted at business travellers. You should be able to get your business visa within 5 minutes at the VOA counter at Yangon Airport if all your documents are in order. It certainly beats having to queue at the nearest Myanmar Embassy for 2 days just to apply for a business visa.
Take note that all airlines flying in to Yangon and Mandalay Airport are required to support VOA for business travellers. That is as long as you have a valid passport and all the supporting documents for applying for VOA they will allow you to board the plane headed for Yangon or Mandalay Airport.
As VOA is targetted at business traveller there is normally no queue at the VOA counter at Yangon Airport. It takes less than 5 minutes to get your business visa at the VOA counter at Yangon Airport if all your documents are in order.
It is advisable for foreigners who are interested to invest, stay and work in Myanmar to enter the country on a business visa. When you are signing the lease for an office or opening a bank account – people will take you seriously if you are on a business visa. A business visa allows a foreigner to stay for up to 70 days in Myanmar and to engage in a restricted set of commercial activities that is outlined in the business visa application. With a business visa you can stay at a company’s rented apartment or at a business associate’s house.
A tourist visa allows you to stay for up to 28 days in the country and you are not supposed to be involved in any sort of commercial activities while you are there. With a tourist visa you must stay in a hotel that is approved by the Ministry of Tourism.
Moreover to apply for a multiple entry business visa valid for 6 months you must show on your passport that you have travelled to Myanmar previously on 3 separate business visas. Assuming that you have no immigration violations the multiple-entry business visa is also the basis that you apply for a long term stay permit later on. So if you are serious about investing in Myanmar you should start off by going to the country on a business visa and after the 3rd trip apply for a multiple entry business visa valid for 6 months.
You need to provide the following documents to apply for a Business Visa via VOA:
- 2 passport photos.
- An invitation letter from a local Myanmar registered company that is written on an official company letterhead inviting you to Myanmar to do business*
- A guarantor from the local Myanmar registered company that is inviting you to visit them. The guarantor should be the MD or Owner of the company as the Visa Section will ask to see the company registration certificate if they suspect that your invitation letter is not authentic.*
- A letter from your employer, written on your company’s letterhead – addressed to the Visa Section of the Myanmar Embassy stating the purpose of your business trip to Myanmar.
- Your business card.
- Duly filled VOA business visa application form.
As long as you run a legitimate business, have a valid business registration in your own country and have never been denied entry into Myanmar – you will have no problem getting a business visa on arrival at Yangon International Airport or Mandalay International Airport.
In applying for a business visa via VOA make sure that 1) your document is in order and 2) your plane lands in Yangon International Airport or Mandalay International Airport during normal office hours and not during a public holiday or after-office hours when the VOA counter may not be manned.
To date all our clients have been successful getting single-entry Myanmar Business Visa at the VOA counter (immigration section) at Yangon International Airport with the right supporting documents as stipulated in the above MOFA website. It certainly beat having to waste 2 days at the nearest Myanmar Embassy queuing to apply for a business visa
Do take note of the followings when applying for VOA:
- it is meant for business traveller
- Port of Entry – must be Yangon International Airport or Mandalay International Airport
- Only nationals from these countries are able apply for VOA – Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Viet Nam, Australia, China, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States of America. Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Czech, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
*If you need an invitation letter and a guarantor from a Myanmar registered company for your business visa application – please fill up the form below:
Please select a valid form
For your information, Consult-Myanmar Co Ltd is a legally registered service company in Myanmar. Our Myanmar Business Registration Number is 25 FC/2013-2014. We are a member of Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry (UMFCCI). Take note that many online companies providing Myanmar visa service may not be legally registered in Myanmar and thus not be able to provide you with a legitimate invitation letter or be your guarantor for your business visa application.