The Ministry of Information has stopped selling application forms for a controversial tender, following a motion in parliament to suspend the tender process.
No further tender application forms will be distributed in the case of the 90-acre Yegu transmitter site in Mayangone township, Yangon, at the corner of Waizayandar and Gandamar roads, an official from the ministry confirmed.
The tender was heavily criticised for apparently being tailored to suit a very small number of possible bidders.
Parliament decided to suspend the tender process on May 27, five days after an urgent motion to that effect submitted by South Okkalapa MP U Aung Thein Linn.
While government officials had initially said they would wait for a cabinet response to parliament’s decision, Ministry of Information deputy director general U Myo Myint Aung confirmed the tender had been halted.
“Everything to do with the tender has now stopped,” said U Myo Myint Aung. “How can we dare to defy the parliament’s decision?”
Five tender forms had already been sold, at a cost of K1 million (about US$900) each, said U Hla Thwin, the deputy director of the ministry’s Myanma Radio and Television (MRTV).
The tender was announced on May 15, and gave applicants little more than a month to submit detailed plans on proposed usage of the site.
The tender rules stated that the land should be used for a media business park, including a broadcasting complex, a multimedia university, a theme park, zones for recreation, and both indoor and outdoor stadiums.
Source: Myanmar Times