Republic of the Union of Myanmar
Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (MCIT)
Invitation for Myanmar Company to submit Proposal for the
4th Telecommunication License
- To develop the Information, Communication and Telecommunication (ICT) market in Myanmar the policy of promoting innovation and market competitions were implemented. The intention of policy is to improve the service quality of telecommunication services, to better serve the community with fair affordable pricing for both the rural and urban population and to provide a higher level of marketing service.
- The successful rollout and market reception of the new telecom services by the 3 telecom operators is a testament of the success of this policy. We invite National Public Companies that are interested to submit proposal to obtain a Fourth Integrated Telecom License in the country. The first step in obtaining this licence is to form a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV). The shareholders or entities who control the SPV should submit on the prescribed Proposal Form to Management Committee of Public Registered Company and Tender Select Committee, Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, Office number(2), Nay Pyi Taw before 24th August 2015. To get a copy of the Proposal Form please click here.
- The winner of the license must sign a memorandum of understanding (MOU) for the license. After successfully forming a Joint-Venture (JV) with an approved foreign company and paid all the necessary taxes – then the license will be handed over to the winner. This license will be valid for 15 years and it can be extended.
Rules for submitting the Special Purpose Vehicle
- All applicant must be Public Companies registered under the Myanmar Companies Act and established for at least 3 months.
- Capital of company must be at least Kyat 3 Billion. Applicant must submit annual auditor report or other banking documents to show their financial strengths and suitability.
- Company need to obey the law and policy of MCIT and DICA.
- In the choice of foreign JV partner, applicant must obey the decision of Tender Select Committee. Applicant must be able to support the Technology, Service Quality and Marketing Strategy outlined in their proposal.
- In the selection of the foreign JV partner applicant must have the financial capability to hire the right legal and technical advisers to advise them on who the appropriate JV partner should be.
- After choosing the JV partner, the winning company must pay the necessary taxes according to their shareholding percentage in the JV company.
- The applicant cannot hold more than 10% share in other locally registered company and must sign an agreement that they will abide by the rules and regulation of the license.
- Applicant and its members must not be in the Myanmar government black list and must not be involved in any legal dispute.
Information about the Special Purpose Vehicle that should be included in the application
- For choosing the foreign JV partner, applicant must support the objectives of the license as set by MCIT. The document submitted must be complete and shows the experience of the applicant, its proposed JV partner and the benefits of the Proposal.
- The applicant need to show their financial strengths and suitability by providing necessary supporting documents from their banks or via the assets that they hold. They must show that they have the ability to pay all the necessary taxes required in obtaining the license.
- In the event of falsehood in the proposal submitted – the applicant is liable to pay as penalty the proportion of tax that they are liable for under the submitted proposal.
Public Registered Company and Tender Selection Committee
Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, Office No (2), Nay Pyi Taw
Tel: 009567407350, 00959450000023