(Consulting Services– Indivdual Consultant)
[COUNTRY] The Republic of the Union of Myanmar
[NAME OF PROJECT] Myanmar Flood and Landslides Emergency,Recovery Project
Loan No.: 5889 – MM
Assignment Title: International Environmental and Social Safeguard specialist
Reference No.: C4-IST-IC05
The Republic of the Union of Myanmar has applied for financing from the World Bank toward the cost of the Myanmar Flood and Landslides Emergency Recovery Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services. The consulting services (“the Services”) include :
– ensuring adequate integration of environmental and social safeguards consideration into the project;
– providing technical oversight, guidance and quality control for the preparation of needed environmental and social safeguards instruments for sub-projects;
– Assisting the CIUs in the preparation of relevant Terms of Reference and in the assessment of preparatory works conducted on the project road sections
– Liaising closely with the CIUs in the design and implementation of safeguard related technical assistance and studies
– Assessing the capacities for safeguards screening, implementation, and supervision/monitoring of relevant staff in the implementing agencies;
– Supporting the design, preparation, and implementation of the Safeguard Training Program for the Project
– Providing technical inputs and quality assurance on the safeguards implementation reports
– Advise the CIUs on stakeholder and community engagement,
– Promote a culture of proactive environmental and social considerations and sustainability in the road sector
This is a part time position. The Environmental and Social Safeguards Specialist is expected to provide his/her services during a period of 3 years (extendable) as follows: 50% of the time during the first 6 months of the contract (3 months of first 6 months), then 25 % of the time (1 week per month). The position is renewable annually based on performance and mutual agreement.
The Ministry of Construction (MOC)and Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation (MOALI)now invite eligibleindividual consultant (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested individual consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services (e.g. consultant’s profile, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions, etc.). The minimum qualifications and experience requirements are:
• Must have Master´s degree in environmental engineering, environmental management, natural resources management, environmental and social sciences or related field relevant to environmental and social management in the context of the Project.
• Minimum 10 years of international experience in environmental and social due diligence in development projects, preferably in South East Asia. Working experience with the environmental and social safeguards of International Financing Institutions (IFIs) or comparable bilateral financiers. Experience with the World Bank safeguards policies or IFC Performance Standards is a plus.
• Understanding of environmental and social aspects of road and infrastructure rehabilitation.
• Ability to undertake physically demanding travel to the Project sites in remote areas of Myanmar.
• Familiarity with government and foreign aid project operations
• Excellent communication skills, including speaking and writing in English
• Willingness to train local staff on day-to-day basis
• Good working knowledge of computer programs such as word, excel etc.
The attention of interested individual consultant is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers(Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
An individual consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours [09:30 to 16:00 hours’ local time].
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail, or by fax, or by e-mail) by , 7th April 2017 (16:00 hours local time). Attn:
For Detailed information please contact:
Daw Tin Moe Myint, Director, Department of Rural Development
Office no-14, Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar +95(0) 943434333
Tel: 95 67 409410, 9595118240
U Kyaw Swa Aung (Director)
Department of Rural Development
Source: Global New Light of Myanmar