An overview of the $9bn China-backed proposal for Myanmar’s Kyaukpyu port

In 2015, China’s state-owned investment giant CITIC Group won a tender to build a massive port at Kyaukpyu, a town in the west of Myanmar. The $9bn agreement was struck on the basis of CITIC assuming a 70% share, with the Myanmar government and local operators receiving the remaining 30%. Three years on, however, and […]

Myanmar reviews $9bn China-backed port project on cost concerns

Myanmar’s government is reviewing a $9bn deepwater port project backed by China over concerns it is too expensive and could ultimately fall under Beijing’s control if Myanmar were to default on its debt. Two people with direct knowledge of the discussions within Aung San Suu Kyi’s government said that economic officials were looking for ways […]

China’s $7.5 Billion Myanmar Port ‘Crazy,’ Suu Kyi Adviser Says

The $7.5 billion price tag for a Chinese-built deep-sea port in the Myanmar town of Kyaukpyu was “crazy” and “absurd,” according to a key adviser to Myanmar’s leader Aung San Suu Kyi. China’s CITIC Group, which won a tender to build the port three years ago, has valued the port and an accompanying special economic […]

Myanmar’s evolving maritime security landscape

Myanmar links South and Southeast Asia and lies on maritime shipping routes from the Indian and Pacific Oceans.A key pillar of its national development agenda is establishing an efficient and integrated transport system to become Asia’s newest maritime hub. Recent political and economic reforms have already had significant impact on national trade flows. According to […]

China agrees to 70% share in Kyaukphyu sea port

China has agreed to take a 70 percent stake in a strategically important sea port in Burma, at the lower end of a proposed range amid local concerns about Beijing’s growing economic clout in the country, a senior government official said. Oo Maung, vice chairman of a government-led committee overseeing the project, said Burma had […]

Itochu, Lippo Team up to Run Southeast Asian Hospitals

TOKYO — Itochu will join hands with Indonesian conglomerate Lippo Group to operate hospitals in Southeast Asia, aiming to capitalize on the region’s growing demand for advanced medical services offered by the private sector. The Japanese trading house has entered a business partnership with Lippo Karawaci, Indonesia’s largest hospital operator, to set up a Singaporean joint venture this […]

China’s $10 billion strategic project in Myanmar sparks local ire

KYAUK PYU: Days before the first supertanker carrying 140,000 tonnes of Chinese-bound crude oil arrived in Myanmar’s Kyauk Pyu port, local officials confiscated Nyein Aye’s fishing nets. The 36-year-old fisherman was among hundreds banned from fishing a stretch of water near the entry point for a pipeline that pumps oil 770 km (480 miles) across […]

China’s plans for Myanmar town hold few local opportunities

KYAUKPYU, Myanmar (AP) — China’s plan for its foothold on the Bay of Bengal, on Myanmar’s western coast in restive Rakhine state, includes an industrial zone, oil refinery and deep-water port that could transform a sleepy, remote town of 30,000 into a thriving business hub. The plan for Kyaukpyu is central to Beijing’s ambitions in […]

China and Myanmar’s SEZs: strategic partnership or can of worms?

Since coming to power in 2011, Myanmar’s President Thein Sein has distanced the country from its previously tight-knit relationship with China in favour of rapprochement with the west and Japan. Yet the past few months have seen a determined push by Beijing to re-engage Myanmar economically and politically, reminding Naypyidaw that it sees the country […]

Risks loom for Myanmar’s Kyaukphyu Economic Zone

The end of 2015 saw a series of major announcements and decisions regarding Myanmar’s latest special economic zone (SEZ) in Kyaukphyu township of Rakhine State. In late December, Myanmar’s government approved the demarcation of land for the SEZ and awarded tenders to develop the SEZ to a CITIC Group-led consortium. Untitled The Kyaukphyu SEZ is […]