Peninsula chain adds carefully chosen links in Myanmar, elsewhere

As it expands into Myanmar and Turkey, the operator of the Peninsula hotel chain is sticking with its signature formula of opening in the best of the best locations. The Peninsula Yangon will form a key part of a broader redevelopment project around the historic Yangon Central Railway Station. The headquarters of the old Burma […]

Metro Group and Yoma Strategic Holdings sign joint venture agreement for wholesale distribution in Myanmar

Metro Group Wholesale & Food Specialist Company announces its joint venture partnership with the Singapore-listed Myanmar-focused Yoma Strategic Holdings Ltd. to develop a one stop food distribution platform in Myanmar. According to the agreement, METRO will take an 85% stake in the newly established joint venture called METRO Wholesale Myanmar Ltd., with the remaining 15% […]

Listing Brings Few Benefits for Construction Sector for now

​​ There is only one listed construction-related firm on the Yangon Stock Exchange (YSX) at the moment. Joining the YSX will not boost the construction companies to raise capital for real estate projects in the short term. KBZ Bank deputy managing director U Bo Bo Wai Maung said that local construction companies should consider joining […]

Pun-Backed Project At Yangon’s Colonial Railway Building Wins ‘Milestone’ Government Approval

​​ The Myanmar In­vestment Com­mission (MIC) has given approval to a mixed-use mega project at the heritage listed My­anmar Railway Company building in downtown Yangon. The Landmark Devel­opment, as it’s known, is divided into two parts. The redevelopment of the colonial era Myan­mar Railway Company building into the five star Peninsula Hotel Yangon and a […]

Yoma Strategic Bullish on Myanmar Prospects

Yoma Strategic chief executive Melvyn Pun is confident about the firm’s future despite a sharp drop in its stock price earlier this month. Yoma released stellar second-quarter results on Nov 8 but its shares fell from 59 cents to 51 cents – a drop of more than 13 per cent – between Nov 11 and […]

KFC Myanmar Ponders Mountainous Shan State as it Considers a Future Beyond Major Cities

US fast food giant KFC will open its first store in outside of Yangon next year with a new outlet in Mandalay. But the company is already looking further afield in its bid to tap increasing demand for consumer goods following decades of isolation and economic stagnation. The fried chicken giant’s plans for Myanmar’s second […]

KFC to open in Mandalay

Kentucky Fried Chicken’s expansionist designs on Myanmar will forge ahead in 2017, with branches set to open in Mandalay, Yangon and two yet-to-be-announced locations. KFC Myanmar administration director JR Ching told The Myanmar Times that since the first KFC in Yangon opened in July 2015, there are now seven branches in the city. Three more are slated to open […]

Myanmar Companies Ramping up Tourism Industry

YANGON — Leading companies in Myanmar are building up the tourism industry in a bid to capitalize on the increasing number of foreign visitors to the Southeast Asian country since democratic reforms took place. First Myanmar Investment signed an agreement in October with its Singapore-listed affiliate Yoma Strategic Holdings and other companies, including SHC Capital Asia, […]

Axiata Unit to Raise Stake in Myanmar Tower Operations

KUALA LUMPUR (NewsRise) – Axiata Group, Malaysia’s biggest telecom operator by revenue, said its infrastructure unit is buying an additional 12.5% stake in a telecom tower company in Myanmar for $35 million. The deal, which involves purchase of 250,000 shares under a put and call option agreement with YSH Finance, will raise edotco Group’s stake in […]

Yoma Strategic to Spin off Myanmar Tourism Businesses in Reverse Takeover of SHC Capital Asia

SINGAPORE – Yoma Strategic Holdings announced on Monday (Oct 24) that it will be spinning off its tourism-related business as part of a reverse takeover (RTO) of Catalist-listed SHC Capital Asia Ltd. Yoma on Sept 2 announced its intention to partner with other players to establish a new tourism platform engaged in various tourism-related businesses […]